Parkinson’s disease is a neurogenic condition, which affects a person’s motor skills, mood, and sleep. Currently, there is no cure. Fortunately, research has reported that CBD has the potential to reduce the PD symptoms along with other medical conditions ranging from anxiety and migraines to multiple sclerosis and epilepsy.
A person who is diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease will have to determine the kind of medication for treatment. Several factors like treating specific symptoms, medications efficiency, and cost need to be considered. Levodopa is the common medication used to treat this condition. It is even used to diagnose PD.
Levodopa reduces the symptoms, but increases the risk of triggering dyskinesia. Other drugs can be taken, but they accompany side effects and are not as good as Levodopa.
Dietary supplements also don’t make a difference but with medical marijuana getting legal in many states people have considered it as an alternative medication. However, there is less research about how effective marijuana is in PD symptom treatment. The few trials conducted a report to have shown success in enhancing coordination and motor skills.
Full spectrum CBD oil for sale is available on JustCBD Store. According to the research [Sao Carlo’s and Sao Paulo University] published in Psychopharmacology Journal reports that CBD is a promising compound to treat Parkinson’s patients.
Symptoms of PD
Parkinson’s disease is a long-term illness of the central nervous system. It degrades life quality and makes the person permanently immobile.
- Speech changes
- Slowed movements
- Loss of smell
- Sleeping issues
- Rigidness in muscles
- Handwriting changes
- Facial masking
The benefits of using CBD are –
- Anti-inflammatory properties – CBD is an anti-inflammatory agent. It inhibits the alleged underlying neuroinflammatory process.
- Enhances cognitive functions – PD impacts dopamine production in the brain. CBD inhibits CPR6 receptors that reside predominantly in the brain’s basal ganglia region connecting the brainstem and cerebral cortex. These are all associated with emotion, learning, and movement.
CBD has the potential to interact with the receptors and offer therapeutic effects against PD symptoms. An increase in dopamine can balance the consistent reduction in dopaminergic neurons that PD patients experience.
- Sleep pattern – Parkinson’s disease patients struggle with sleep disorders associated with rapid eye movement scans benefit from CBD.
- Decreases psychosis – Delusions and hallucinations are key psychotic symptoms PD patient’s struggle with. CBD has helped to decrease the symptoms.
- Social anxiety disorder – PD patient’s social life gets disrupted because of disability symptoms. Daily necessities like getting dressed, bathing, and eating are hard. They need help. CBD calms the daily episodes of tremors and choking, thus bringing the patients out from the Parkinson’s spells.
Potential side effects
CBD is a safe treatment and there is hardly any evidence of dependence or abuse. A few side effects noted are fatigue, diarrhea, and appetite changes. CBD can interact with pharmaceutical medications. Therefore talk with your doctor and monitor your body for any side effects on use.
Understand the difference between marijuana-derived and hemp-based CBD oil. CBD is extracted from both hemp and marijuana. The former contains 0.3% THC, which is lower than marijuana’s 30% THC. Hemp-based CBD oil does not induce the high, so the majority of states have legalized it. However, every state has its conditions and limitations, so understand the laws of your locality.